Sunday 19 May 2013

Packed, Paid and Pumped!

Bags are packed, volunteer fees are paid and I am pumped!

My pages of to-do lists have gradually been whittled away to nothing.  All my bright and shiny worldly posessions are packed away into dull, non-descript cardboard boxes and shoved in a dark corner of my Dad's shed.  My fluffy, adventurous cat has settled in his new home (and taken over it by all accounts!).  And I've said my goodbyes (well, except for the one tonight at the airport - not sure I'm looking forward to that). 

I've already learned a few things about myself I didn't see before.  Probably the silliest thing I've realised is that I really like to have lots of options of clothes and shoes to wear each day.  So only being able to take the bare minimum of clothes has been really tough!  On the other hand, I've seen it as a fun challenge figuring out how I can try to wear something different every day...

But now the reality of 5+ months away is finally starting to sink in.

There's part of me that is sad to be saying goodbye to friends and family - I'll miss being able to see you every day or being able to pick up the phone to chat (thank goodness for facebook and skype!).  I'm a little nervous about stepping outside my familiar daily routines where I have a level of assurance of what to expect each day.  I've realised too that I am most comfortable when I have detailed plans for whatever project I'm facing rather than feeling like I might suddenly have to make something up!

But this trip is not about making detailed, daily plans and staying inside my comfort zone.  It is all about following a dream and a passion.  It is about discovering countries and cultures I've never known.  It is about expanding my circle of friends.  It is about experiencing new and different jobs.  It is about turning massive, scary dreams into reality and seeing what comes out of it.  It is about leaping into the unknown, seeing where I end up, learning to make it up as I go along and having a truck-load of laughs along the way.

I'm expecting to find out that my comfort zones are really not that set in stone.  That they are all just silly mindgames I play with myself.  And that by taking small, consistent steps every day, I will keep expanding them.

Can't wait!

Next post coming to you from the beautiful Maldives!!!

See you then




No comments:

Post a Comment