Sunday 16 June 2013

How to tell soccer teams apart...without coloured jerseys

I've been going along to an aerobics class a few nights a week. It was set up by Atoll Volunteers for the local ladies and is still going strong.

Jewey, one of the local lady's has learned some routines and circuits and happily puts us through our paces. I thought I was fit. But after doing circuits of 8-10 exercises for 1 minute each exercise, repeated 3 times, I'm naffed! I figure my abs, arms and legs will never be the same again...not that there's anything wrong with that!

And while we exercise, there is plenty of laughter and gossip going on, as often happens when you get a bunch of ladies together. I don't understand much of what is said yet, but I still feel included in it all.

I did get told off (nicely) on my first night. The lights had been dimmed and we were lying on our backs. I thought it was a chance to sleep and so drifted off into my happy place. I came back to the room with everyone laughing at me...I was meant to be stretching! Will definitely have to learn a bit more of the language.

If anyone is a fitness or aerobics instructor and keen on coming over and volunteering for any length of time, I know the ladies would love to have you. Think about it!

Soccer is the main sport the boys play here (so any budding soccer coaches would have an endless line of super keen boys - and the odd girl - to train!)
Every evening about 5pm, games start up on all the 'fields'. They're not the green, grassy fields either. These fields are consolidated coral and so sliding tackles are pretty rare! 
Just outside our front door are a couple of fields where the teenagers and young boys play. Its fascinating to watch. There are no fixed boundaries. Play stops when a goal is scored or when the ball is kicked miles away. And they run continually. No wonder they are all so slim and fit looking!

Two minutes away from home is the full size field where the older guys play. It's almost as if the guys transition from field to field as their skills improve. The guys have fantastic ball skills. Passing, dribbling, headers, tricky passes and feints, tackling without doing anyone damage - I quite enjoy watching it (which says a lot as I really don't like watching sport usually!)

And at all levels, you can tell who is on which team not by coloured jerseys, but by guys with shirts vs guys with no shirts!
Involving myself in all these activities is just another way to get to know people, to fit into the local community and to take opportunities to practice the language more! I've also realised I spent a lot of time at home when I was in NZ and I didn't get into local sports teams or events as much as I could have. Nothing like a whole new environment to help me see this!!!



2 comments:

  1. hehe, nothing like travelling to the other side of the world to suss out that you might need to get out and about a bit more back home. bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny for sure Sarah! I think that because I don't want to miss out on anything and want to experience as much as I possibly can, I have done more. Even days when I've been dead tired, I've still gone out. (I'm sure not having to fight Auckland traffic is a bonus too though!!!)

      Delete