Saturday 6 July 2013

Night turtle patrols and swimming with Manta Rays

I think this has to have been one of the most exciting weeks so far. A friend had come across manta rays while he was out fishing early one morning and was good enough to take us out to find them again.

First we came across a big pod of Spinner dolphins first who rode the bow waves and entertained us with their amazing midair spins and flips.

Then came the part we had been waiting for.  We slid quietly into the warm water and swam towards 3 mantas. Excitement overcame us. We tried to follow the rays but they quickly and effortlessly swam away from us. A few more tips from Nahid again to stay still and we were rewarded with the mantas coming back to check us out.
It sent my adrenalin levels sky high as one swam towards me, only diving down at the last possible moment. While my brain was telling me it only ate plankton and wasn't interested in eating me, seeing that huge open mouth swim towards me had my body screaming to go into flight mode!

It was such an incredible privilege to be able to swim and get so close to these graceful creatures, certainly an experience I won't forget.

Lighting fires...
At the end of the world
An overnight trip to Dhidhoo Island was planned for the Sharjah students to complete their solo overnight camping trip for their Duke of Ed awards and we got to go too. All trips away mean a large group of locals have to come along too. Mostly it's for the safety of everyone. I do find it a bit of a overkill from what I'm used to back home, but it's great to have them along and a good way to get to know more people. 

The guys are fantastic and do most of the camp setup and cooking. I'm so used to doing most of this that to take a back seat feels really strange! Although I did get to find my own bit of beach to set up my mosquito net and sleeping bag :)

The outside of Dhidhoo is where the turtles come up to lay their eggs. A wander along the beach revealed about 40 old nests so I had great expectations for the night ahead. 

We weren't expecting any action until about midnight when the tide was high. But about 830pm, a frenzy of calls came through...a green turtle was on the beach making a nest! 

The turtle's nest


It was probably the most amazing thing I've ever seen. This huge, prehistoric-looking reptile sitting up in the vegetation digging her nest and sending sand flying out behind her. I couldn't take any photos as the flash would disturb her but the vision is seared in my memory. Unfortunately, she decided not to lay that night and slowly dragged herself back down the beach and into the calm ocean. 

Measuring turtle tracks
A group of students helped out with measuring the tracks and recording details for our turtle nesting records. Then it was back to patrolling the beach and waiting for the next turtle to come to shore.
Turtle tracks!
Phosphorescence runway lights
5am...just before sunrise
Unfortunately, no more turtles showed up, but a whole lot of phosphorescence did.  Tess, Collette and I were wandering along the beach admiring all the sparkly blue lights and trying to take photos of it by the light of the full moon. I have to admit, I don't function well on 1 hours sleep any more and had to have a nana-nap the next afternoon :). It was such a magical night though and I will happily give up more hours sleep to do this again. Amazing!!! 

Natural jacuzzi on the island

Relaxing around camp

Views from the bedroom window ;)

Guarding the nest :)

More fishing nets washed up on the shore

1 comment: