Thursday 31 October 2013

Everest Base Camp 01: Stories from Sagarmatha

Mt Everest at 6am...slightly hidden by cloud
3 kiwis, 2 porters, 1 guide
23 days
8 hours delayed at airports
2 changes of clothes
6 hot showers and 2 cold sponge baths
5000 photos taken (roughly)
1 5090m mountain summited
2 pieces of chocolate cake consumed
3 nights stuck in a snowstorm
2 bouts of AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness)
1 5535m mountain summited
62 aquatabs used (meaning I drank about 62L of water)

When I made the decision to do the Everest Base Camp (EBC) trek a year ago, I blindly assumed it would be a slightly challenging but relatively simple walk up a hill.
Near the top
I had spoken to friends who had done it and they assured me I'd be fine. I was fit and healthy. I'd completed lots of treks in NZ. And I was going in peak season so there would be plenty of other people around and I'd be safe.
A busy trail
I had wonderful plans of a perfectly organised trek. Flying into and out of Lukla on time. Viewing Mt Everest from the top of Kala Pattar, reaching EBC, crossing two 5500m mountain passes, dipping my toes in some of the highest lakes in the world, writing one or two posts afterwards and having a cruisy and relaxing 23 day holiday.
Halfway up
Such a naive and simple set of assumptions! What actually happened could not be further from this!

What follows are 10 posts - I promise there are loads of photos to break up the words - following my journey around the Sagarmatha/ Everest region in October 2013.


There are massive highs - like standing on top of a 5535m peak. There are my lowest points - wanting to sit down, cry and go home. There are the wonderful, intelligent, humble, witty, relaxing and hospitable people I met along the way.
How do they do it???
A friend always helps out

And there is a storm. A storm so intense and severe, the last time a similar one hit the region was May 1996.
Before the storm
During the storm
Playing in the snow
I invite you to grab a tea or coffee, to sit back and enjoy my Stories from Sagarmatha.

Above Namche Bazar

Local wildlife

No comments:

Post a Comment